Every September the new school year starts again. And not only children start going back to school then, for some adults September also symbolizes a new year, a new phase for starting a new project, whether it be on a work or personal level.
The end of summer and summer holidays means returning to daily routine and getting active again, after having tried to release a strict work and school schedule for a couple of weeks. So today, this article by ShBarcelona will share information on kids going back to school, their basic necessities and the best way to go about getting your kids ready for the new school year.
Related article: Regulations for Barcelona schools
Preparing your children for going back school
Going back to school is not always that easy for children, but it does also have its positives: they get to see their classmates again, they will start on new projects and they will have a normal rhythm again.
This article not only emphasizes the most important dates for the school year 2019-2020, it also gives you some tips on getting your children ready to go back to school.
Start of the new school year
- September 12:
- Infant education (or preschool)
- Primary education
- Secondary education
- Intermediate Training Cycles
- Entrance exams for Intermediate Training Cycles
- Preparatory courses for higher education
- Special education
- September 18:
- Upper Level Training Cycles
- Adult education
- September 26:
- Language schools
- Christmas: from December 21 to January 7
- Easter: from April 4 to 13
- Summer: starting June 20
Secondary education evaluations
- School year 2018-2019: between June 20 and 26, 2019
- School year 2019-2020: between June 18 and 23, 2020
Special entrance tests for the first year of the Baccalaureate and for special educations (like Sports or Art & Design) will take place between September 2 and 4, 2020.
Related article: Best Schools in the Sants Montjüic Neighbourhood
Back to school tips
Start with getting back into the school rhythm again one or two weeks before the first day of school. Let your children get used to waking up and getting into bed again at regular times. This way your children will be happy and fit on their very first day.
- Establish new rules for using their mobile phone and the internet. It helps them learn responsibilities and this way phones or internet won’t interfere with their homework.
- Start using a highlighter on your children’s calendar to indicate important information and events for them, not just the holidays, but also tests or, for example, their after school activities.
- As the new school year can be quite a challenge, be there to listen to them, to answer their questions or take away any doubts or fears. This gives them a feeling of support and it will develop their self-confidence.
- Are school clothes too small? Then give them away. Are they not in one piece anymore? Throw them away. Just make sure you clean up before going out to buy new school clothes. It will teach your children how to clean up their closet, and it will also result in your children learning how to share.
- Emphasize the positive aspects a new school year will bring them: meeting their friends again, making new friends, learning new stuff and going on excursions and trips.
Important: the Spanish school system is different from school systems in other countries. Search for information and then decide what is the best school for your child.
Do you have other useful tips for children going back to school?