That is the million dollar question! It is important to know what documents you need to rent an apartment in Barcelona. But don’t worry, we have got you covered in this blog article on what documents are needed to rent an apartment in Barcelona. We will tell you all there is to know on the paperwork for renting and renting out an apartment.
Table of Contents
Documents to rent (out) an apartment in Barcelona
Renting and renting out a property is not the same, and that is why we will explain what you need as a tenant to rent a home, but also what documents should be arranged for the property owner who wants to rent out his apartment.
Related article: 10 Tips for Renting an Apartment in Barcelona
What does the tenant need to rent an apartment?
If you are looking to rent an apartment in Barcelona, then you should be aware that you need to collect a few essential documents during the process. Luckily, it is not too complicated to gather these papers:
- Proof of identity: you should bring the original with you when you sign the rental contract.
- Deposit: you will pay one month’s worth of rent as a deposit, but many landlords ask for an additional month as an extra guarantee.
- Income: if a minimum income is required to rent an apartment, you could be asked for your salary slips to check your financial status. It is important to earn more (also with two incomes) than the monthly rent, and meeting these requirements will benefit your profile. It is a guarantee that you will have no problems paying the rent.
- Work contract: just like with the salary slips, a work contract will be requested to prove that tenants will have a steady income.
- Guarantor: extra guarantees that can be provided can help when demand is higher than supply, as this is a means of selecting applicants when there are too many.
- Introduction: it doesn’t happen that often anymore, but there are still a few landlords that wish to be introduced in some form (a letter or meeting) to new tenants. Getting to know the people that will rent your property takes care of their peace of mind.
Related article: How and Where to Register in Barcelona
What does the property owner need to rent out his apartment?
If you are a property owner, you also need to provide a series of documents to be able to rent out your property. You should collect the following papers:
- Cédula de habitabilidad: this first document is needed to show proof that the property is legal to live in and can be rented out. Once you have applied for this document it is valid for the next 15 years.
- Energy Performance Certificate: this document is also mandatory, and it shows the CO2 that the property is emitting. This certificate is valid for the next 10 years.
- Drawing up of the rental contract: the basis of renting an apartment is the contract, and it should be based on and in compliance with the Ley de Arrendamientos Urbanos. The text in the rental contract should be agreed upon by both the tenant and the landlord.
- Utilities registry: this part of the proces is what often takes the longest. If the apartment is newly built, then you will need to register water, electricity and (if applicable) gas. On the other hand, if you were already living in the property, then you only need to change the name for the utilities. You can do this by calling each utility service. Just follow the steps they give you.
- Transfer deposit: the tenant needs to pay the deposit when formalising the rental contract. This deposit is then kept safe at Incasòl, who will return the amount to the tenant within 30 calendar days after the contract has ended and only after no damage was done to the property.
Photo via Freepik
Renting (out) an apartment through a real estate agency in Barcelona: steps and documents
As you have now read, there are several steps to take when renting or renting out a property. Although these steps are not extremely difficult to take, they do require some of your time and energy and maybe even some knowledge of the real estate market.
ShBarcelona can take care of all the necessary procedures for you, so renting (out) a property in Barcelona will be quick and easy. And whether you are a tenant or landlord, there are many advantages to working with a real estate agency. Contact us if you need more information! We will get in touch with you as soon as possible.
Do you have any experience with renting or renting out an apartment in Barcelona?
Share your advice with our readers!