One of the first things you need to take care of when buying or renting an apartment in Barcelona, is getting connected to mains water. And so, before you start with the whole process, you ask yourself: How much would it cost to get a water supply connection and how do I arrange for this to happen?
There is a difference in getting a mains water connection and changing the title on a water supply contract. The second occurs when there is a change of ownership of the property (buy or rent), but the water connection itself wasn’t removed.
If this all sounds a bit complicated, don’t be too worried, because today ShBarcelona will tell you all about it in this article. As a real estate agency in Barcelona, we are used to managing these types of procedures. Keep on reading if this topic might be of interest to you.
Table of Contents
How to get connected to mains water in Barcelona – What you should know
We will first discuss how to get connected to mains water in Barcelona, as each city council has their specific water supply company in Spain.
For Barcelona, this company is Aigües de Barcelona. The procedure to get connected can be done in a couple of different ways, and it requires several documents.
If you will be visiting one of the offices, you can go through the whole process with the help of a company employee. If you prefer arranging it online, you have to download the authorisation form, complete it (including date and your ID number), attach a photocopy of your ID, and send it all by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The documents can also be dropped off at any of their offices.
If you are a private customer, getting connected to mains water means you need the following documents:
- NIF or NIE of the person requesting the connection
- The rental contract or deeds
- Cédula de habitabilidad (certificate of habitability)
- Bank document that shows your name and IBAN
- If you are not the account holder, you should bring his/her completed authorization form.
The price of mains water depends on the use (household or company) and the nominal flow rate. You can check supply rate here. Nominal flow rates can be found on your last invoice, but if you do not have access to invoices, you can ask the owner of the property.
No. This type of utility services is only possible with one company in the area you live, and for Barcelona this is Aigües de Barcelona.
Aigües de Barcelona says it will take a maximum of four working days to install the water meter. If this period is exceeded, you will receive 15 euros without having to file an official complaint.
Related article: 7 Tips on How to Save on Your Electricity Bill
Getting connected to mains water in a rental property
As we already mentioned, normally rental apartments in Barcelona are already connected to mains water, which means you only have to change the name on the contract.
Everything is different when you are about to move into a newly built apartment, as you will probably need to get connected to water (and gas and electricity) instead of just having to change the name on an existing utilities contract. This is because it hasn’t been connected at all before. Take into account that there might be extra costs involved in this case.
The Ley de Arrendamientos Urbanos (LAU) states that water consumption (as shown on the water meter) must be paid for by the tenant.
It also states that the landlord is obliged to hand over a property in habitable conditions. It doesn’t, however, specify who should arrange the mains water connection.
ShBarcelona’s administrative agents can carry out the procedure for you, and this will save you time and prevent problems for both parties involved.
Other aspects to take into consideration
You now have all the information you need on how to get connected to mains water in a property in Barcelona. We would also like to ask you to take the following into account:
- The price of getting mains water connected depends on whether what part of the installation has already been taken care of, what size the pipes are, and in which city the property is located.
- The price includes the cost of getting connected to mains water and a deposit for consumption. The deposit will be returned at the end of the contract.
- If the property is transferred from one person to the other, it is cheaper to change the name on the contract than to disconnect the water and then reconnect again.
- You are not just contracting a water supplier (Aigües de Barcelona), but you also need a company that does maintenance on the water meter. Most of the times this is MUSA.
- If you have any problems or complaints, you can contact Aigües de Barcelona 24/7 by telephone on the following number: 900 700 720. This number is free and you can use it any day of the year.
- There are offices in Barcelona city, Badalona, L’Hospitalet and Gavà.
Do you have other questions about your mains water connection?
Leave your comments below and we will contact you!