Barcelona’s Night of the Museums is a cultural event that takes place every year, and it attracts thousands of visitors from Spain and all over the world. The city’s museums open their doors to the public during the night and entry is totally free. Many activities and exhibitions are organized.
The next edition of the Night of the Museums is on Saturday May 13, 2023. It is expected to be a memorable celebration that will be full of surprises, and ShBarcelona will tell you all you need to know about this unique event.
Table of Contents
History of the Night of the Museums
The Night of the Museums is a yearly cultural event that takes place in various European countries. The original idea was an initiative born in Berlin in 1997, when a group of museums decided to open their doors during the night and offer special activities to the public. Their main objective was to attract a much younger and diverse audience, that normally wouldn’t visit the museum during the day.
The initiative was such a success that it spread out to other European cities. At the moment, more than 30 countries from all over the world are celebrating Night of the Museums. It has become one of the most important cultural events of the year. Some museums even open their doors the whole weekend, instead of just the Saturday night.
With the years passing, the Night of the Museums has evolved to now being a platform for the promotion of culture and heritage. Did you know that the 2009 edition in Barcelona stood out because of its more than 800,000 visitors?
What to expect for Night of the Museums 2023
The Night of the Museums is celebrated in the whole province of Barcelona, so you can encounter cultural initiatives in Badalona, Esplugues de Llobregat, L’Hospitalet de Llobregat, and many other places. The edition of 2023 will be the 17th time the Night of the Museums is organized, and it all starts on May 13 from 19:00 until 01:00 (times may differ per museum or location).
During the hours of the event, you can enter the venue for free and visit the museum collections and the city’s most important cultural places with expositions.
Besides being offered the option to visit these places without having to pay anything, there will be a parallel programme with attractive activities to take part in. There will be concerts and workshops, exclusive guided tours, and many more reasons to spend this evening and night in Barcelona.
Planning for Barcelona’s Night of the Museum 2023
As already mentioned, the initiative was born from the idea to attract a type of audience that wouldn’t normally visit the museum. That is why you should be prepared to meet lots and lots of people and, therefore, many waiting lines as well to be able to access some of the museums. Especially the most important ones or those museums that are in iconic locations in Barcelona.
That is why we recommend planning your evening and night efficiently. Check the official programme of the Night of the Museums 2023 for opening hours and the hours of certain activities you want to take part in. Remember that you need to make reservations for some visits, as there will be a limited number of people allowed to enter.
Related article: Free Tours in BARCELONA – Discover The City’s Secrets
Museums and other interesting places to visit during Barcelona’s Night of the Museums 2023
- Archivo fotográfico de Barcelona – Barcelona’s Photographic Archive
- CaixaForum Barcelona
- Castillo de Cornellà de Llobregat – The Cornellà de Llobregat Castle
- Castillo de Montjuïc – The Montjuïc Castle
- CCCB: Centre de Cultura Contemporània de Barcelona – Barcelona’s Contemporary Centre of Culture
- El Born CCM – The Cultural Centre of El Born
- Fundación Antoni Tàpies – The Antoni Tàpies Foundation
- Fundación Joan Miró – The Joan Miró Foundation
- Jardín Botánico – The Botanic Gardens
- MACBA: Barcelona’s Contemporary Art Museum
- MUHBA: Barcelona’s History Museum
- Muralla Romana – Roman Wall
- MAC: Catalonia’s Archeologic Museum
- Museo de Ciencias Naturales de Barcelona – Barcelona’s Museum of Natural Science
- Museo del Chocolate – The Chocolate Museum
- Museo del F.C. Barcelona – The F.C. Barcelona Museum
- Museo Marítimo de Barcelona – Barcelona’s Maritime Museum
- Palacio Güell – The Güell Palace
- Real Monasterio de Santa María de Pedralbes – The Royal Monastery of Santa María de Pedralbes
Barcelona’s Night of the Museums is a special night and if you are an art or history lover, you mustn’t miss it. There will be many different exhibitions and lots of activities and unique events.
So mark May 13, 2023, on your calendar. We look forward to meeting you during this year’s Night of the Museums!