|Important update March 2020: Due to the Coronavirus crisis in Spain, all the events are cancelled until further notice.|
In 1961 World Theatre Day was initiated by the International Theatre Institute, which is one of the most well-known artistic institutions in the whole wide world. The first official celebration of the day was, however, recorded on March 27, 1962.
Different centers, organizations, schools and professionals from the performing arts industry express their passion on this special day. World Theatre Day is also a way of making institutions and governments aware of the value and cultural wealth that this form of art provides to a city’s citizens. So that is why today’s article by ShBarcelona will tell you more on this special occasion.
Related article: Go to the Theatre in Avinguda del Paral·lel
Discover amazing plays in Barcelona on World Theatre Day 2020
The International Theatre Institute selected a date for this special day, and that is March 27. If you don’t visit the theatre regularly, then this is the day to do so. Besides Barcelona, there are many more cities celebrating World Theatre Day by organising all kinds of activities to promote the art form and giving its performers the appreciation they truly deserve.
We will now share some of the most popular plays that are currently in different theatres in Barcelona:
- Orgasmos is a comedy you can enjoy at Aquitània Teatre, which is in Sarrià. It runs until March 28, 2020. Actors Roger Pera and Ángela Monge have already managed to catch the attention of more than 140,000 spectators with their humour. Tickets start at 8 euros.
- Berto Romero: Mucha Tontería will be performed at Sala Barts in Barcelona, a venue in the centre of Gracia. This is a humoristic monologue by this great comedian, describing his work on stage. Berto will be in theatre until June 28, and prices start at 23 euros.
- Escape Room will play in Teatre Goya in the neighbourhood of Raval until April 19. Actors Paula Vives, Mónica Pérez, Joel Joan and Biel Duran will offer a comedy show based on the popular game that carries the same name. Tickets are on sale from 20 euros.
Related article: V.O. Cinemas in Barcelona
- El Club Capitol is right next to Plaça Catalunya in the district of Ciutat Vella, and it will be presenting a fun and refreshing show by David Guapo, Que no nos frunjan la fiesta, in a space called Sala Pepe Rubianes. The showman is favourite with the public, and this show will certainly cause some goosebumps. It lasts until April 12, and ticket prices start at 18 euros.
- The musical West Side Story will be performed at Teatre-Auditori Sant Cugat, which is in a town just outside of the city, called Sant Cugat del Vallès. After the musical’s success in Madrid, this original version of the famous movie will finally come to Barcelona. It is produced by someone who also took care of the production of Billy Elliot. Prices start at 59 euros, and the musical will be in town until April 5.
- Escenas de la vida conyugal (Scenes from a Married Life) will perform from April 1-12 in Teatre Coliseum, which is on Barcelona’s Gran Vía in the district of Eixample. Ricardo Darín and Andrea Pietra will give a perfect performance of this dramatic comedy, based on Ingmar Bergman’s movie. Ticket prices start at 34 euros.
- El Teatro Poliorama is on the Rambla in Barcelona, and it will host La importància de ser Frank (The Importance of Being Frank), a show based on one of Oscar Wilde’s most famous plays. The show will run until March 15, and prices start at 10 euros.
Is there another play one should definitely see on World Theatre Day 2020?