We use our own and third party cookies to improve our services, offer the ability to share and interact with social networks, make statistics and show related ads by analyzing your browsing habits. If you continue on our site, we will consider you accept it use. You can change the settings or get more information on cookie policy.

Handy Tips


At ShBarcelona we have drawn up a list of handy hints which we hope will be of use during your stay in Barcelona.

Mobile Telephone/Internet

We have favourable agreements with telephone and Internet companies who will be only too happy to help you out with any services you wish to subscribe to.

To subscribe to telephone and Internet services you will need to provide your national ID document, NIE or passport, Spanish address and an account number with a bank registered in Spain.

Financial Services

Banks are open from 8am until 2pm. Savings banks have the same opening hours but also open on Thursday afternoons.

In any bank or savings bank you can open a current account in order to manage your everyday operations.

You will need to provide the following documentation in order to open an account: national ID document, NIE or passport, Spanish address and your lease contract (or lease reservation).


As with any big cosmopolitan and international city, thieves do operate in the city, mainly in the tourist areas.

We recommend that you always keep a close eye on your belongings, especially at the airport, train and metro stations, beaches, bars, restaurants and busy areas in general.

To avoid a nasty shock, take out an insurance policy through our insurance company as soon as you arrive in Barcelona. This is very easy and ShBarcelona will process this for you immediately.

What should I do if I am robbed in Barcelona?

Firstly, and most importantly, you must fill out a crime report. You will need to go to your local police station to do this (forms are available in Spanish and English).

If your documents have been stolen, this form will allow you to travel and to reclaim your belongings.

VERY IMPORTANT: If the keys to your apartment have been stolen, inform your ShBarcelona consultant urgently. You will feel safer if you take out an insurance policy through us.

What is an empadronamiento?

This is the act of registering on the municipal register, which will give you official recognition as a resident of the municipality. It will also allow you to apply for a resident's permit and work permit, and give you the right to apply for a Health Service Card.

The application must be made at your local Oficina de Atención Ciudadana (Citizen Help Centre). You will have to fill out a form and provide the original copy and a photocopy of your passport and your lease contract.

What is a NIE?

This is a Spanish residency number for foreign residents. In order to apply for this, you must fill out a form which can be obtained from the Immigration Office (Oficina de Extranjeros). You will need the original and a photocopy of your home-country national identity document or passport, a colour passport photo with a white background and the documents which accredit the reasons for your application (enrolment document from your university or business school, work contract etc.)

You must then hand in the documentation at the Immigration Office or at your local police station www.policia.es

This procedure will take between 1 and 5 weeks and must be carried out in person.

The Immigration Office is located at Av. Marquès d'Argentera, 4. Tel: 93 520 14 10 / Metro: L4 / Buses: 14, 17, 39, 40, 45 and 59.

Health Service Card

As a foreigner, you and your family have the same rights to health care as any Spaniard, as long you are registered on the municipal register.

Once you are registered on the municipal register, you can apply for your Health Service Card at your local Primary Care Centre (Centro de Asistencia Primaria, commonly called a CAP). With your Health Service Card you will be attended to in hospitals and/or by emergency services. https://www10.gencat.cat/ pls/catsalut/cawpk500.inici