It is often difficult and expensive to find a parking spot in Barcelona. Be aware that the bus and subway networks serve the city excellently, but if you do not have any other choice, the rules for parking your own car in Barcelona are detailed below.
Public car park
The safest solution is to park your car in a private or municipal parking lot. However, it will cost you between 16€ and 35€ for each 24-hour period.
Parking Your Car on the Street
To encourage residents, the city has developed a colour code painted on the ground.
- Green area car park "area residents": exclusive use for residents from Monday to Friday between 8am and 8pm (note that a 24-hour basis is also possible in some places, where it is announced as such).
- Green area car park "area preferent”: all vehicles are allowed to park for no more than 2 hours between 8am and 8pm from Monday to Friday.
On Saturdays and Sundays the blue and green areas are free to all vehicles as well as at night from 8pm to 8am.
- Blue area car park "area blava" : all vehicles are allowed up to 2, 3 or 4 hours' parking from 8am to 8pm from Monday to Friday.
- White area car park: Free and open to all vehicles, outside the city centres. You will find some streets that have this white area between Bogatell and Llacuna subway stations ( in Pamplona Street, for example).
Rent a Private car parking spot.
You can rent a private parking spot by the month. To find information you have to go directly into the parking lot; prices range between 80€ and 150€ per month.
- A foreign licence plate on your car is quickly spotted and appreciated by the municipal tow truck (and also by thieves) so do not park your car just anywhere, be careful.
- Always pay at the parking meter when you park your car, otherwise within just 30 minutes your car can be towed away by the tow truck. Cars holding a foreign licence plate are taken away immediately.
- The cost of the fine if your car is towed away is roughly 200€. If this happens you will be notified by means of a yellow triangular sticker left on the ground where a telephone number to retrieve your car will be listed (the sticker is written in four languages including English).